REPOSTED FROM MY THOUGHTS (firstname.lastname@example.org/haroldshawjr.com)
1. Loose weight – Didn’t meet this goal in fact, I gained 6 pounds. Falling off the roof on January 4th really screwed things up royally for me. Bill won the bet and I paid it publicly. But finally during last month I have been healthy enough to run slowly and am getting back into a workout program focused on running/jogging.
2. Learn at least one new software/application per month. I did really well on this one only taking time off during August/September.
3. Continue to integrate Zoho suites into my life. I stopped using Zoho as my main Cloud application, it is very simple I don’t like the graphical interface on their word processor which is the main app I use. Many of the other apps are not available unless you are connected to the internet. As I discovered when I went to Atlanta in May and didn’t have access to the internet, I couldn’t access my Zoho accounts. Wireless coverage is not as great as we need it to be. So I purposely chose not to use Zoho nearly as much, especially after I changed jobs. I tried to use it at my new job, but ran into stiff resistance and decided continued resistance was futile and gave in.
4. While I really am attempting to wean myself from Microsoft Office (I just never really liked 2003)… Since changing jobs, and trying out several cloud or software alternatives – I am using Microsoft Office 2007, almost exclusively. It is what I use at work, so therefore it is not efficient to use a different productivity suite at home. Viva Office 2007 and the Ribbon which I am beginning to really love.
5. Professionally – prepare myself for the future and teach to prepare my students for their future. I changed jobs completely, but while I was a teacher, I was able to move away from drill/kill and the lecture format to a more project based and student centered model.
6. One last goal is to prepare an electronic portfolio. I put most of my stuff into an electronic portfolio based upon Microsoft OneNote, it works for me, but not that many people have OneNote, so it is not very shareable unless they have OneNote. I plan to keep using it, but not to the level that I did as a teacher.
7. Look at Linux a little more closely, I won an XO Laptop from Chit.at (haven’t received it yet), so I will get to play around with Linux a little bit and find out how it compares to Vista. I found that I didn’t like the XO and gave it to Mr.Byrne – he had more uses for it than I did. I did find that I liked the smaller laptop and bought a 12.1 inch HP Pavilion Tx2510 Tablet, which I love! Wife got the 15.4 tank. Ubuntu still intrigues me, but when I attempted to dual boot on my new laptop couldn’t boot up the Ubuntu and I ddin’t want to wipe Vista, so still haven’t really tried Linux. Now with Windows 7 coming out, I really want to try that.
I actually did pretty well on my 2008 goals, except the weight one. That will definitely be at the top of the list again in 2009. I am happy with my progress in 2008 and now that I am healthy again, the weight should come off quickly – if I can learn to watch my portion sizes and the sweet tooth.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 3.0 Unported License.