MY DREAM JOB – WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE
REPOSTED FROM MY THOUGHTS (email@example.com/haroldshawjr.com)
Going through all of these steps has given me a very good idea of what to look for in my Dream Job.
My first choice of a dream job would be to hit the lottery and retire to doing what I want to do instead of the 9-5 routine.
Second would be working for ESPN as some kind of behind the scenes guy, because I always have loved sports.
Now to get back to reality.
Below are the posts leading up to this realization:
- IF OPPORTUNITY KNOCKs–I AM NOT READY
- WHERE HAVE I BEEN? WHERE AM I GOING?
- FINDING YOUR DREAM JOB – WHAT IS THE FIRST STEP?
- FINDING A DREAM JOB–CAREER INTEREST SURVEYS
- MY DREAM JOB – PART 4
- DREAM JOB PREPARATION – PART 5
- DREAM JOB PREPARATION – PART 6
- DREAM JOB PREPARATION – PART 7 JOB SKILL SUMMARY
- MY DREAM JOB – WHAT WILL IT LOOK LIKE?
My dream job will not be one where I make lots and lots of money (money is important, but it is not the driving force in my life and as long as I make enough to be comfortable that is enough for me) or one where I am necessarily the boss, I can lead and do a good job, but don’t have that overriding need to be in charge.
It is much more important to me that I have the opportunity to help others and make a difference beyond just doing work for the sake of working. I guess I want to be there when things happen instead of being so far removed that I don’t actually know what is going on to the people “on the ground”.
My dream job is probably going to be a position in either a training/education or emergency management setting.
1. Training/Education. I loved teaching and I realized this summer that I really do miss it. I miss the “aha” moments from the students and being able to watch the growth that occurs in the classroom. I have had a couple opportunities to provide training this summer and I really enjoyed it, it just felt right. Does that mean I will be looking to my dream job in teaching…not necessarily, there might be a training position that really appeals to me, but I would like to teach/train at some level.
Image via Wikipedia
2. Emergency Management is something that has been a part of my life since I was a teenager. I was in the Coast Guard for almost 21 years and even though I was mostly a paper pusher, I had many opportunities to get involved and now working with MEMA as my office’s Emergency Response Coordinator has really shown me that I would be a good fit in that environment.
I know that my dream job will be one where I will be interacting and collaborating with small groups of people to get projects done or teach others certain skills.
I will probably get to use my case and program management skills on occasion, and of course I will have to manage a budget of some sort. High level writing skills are going to be necessary to process the information and my knowledge and ability to use technology will be an asset in being able to communicate with others.
So based on looking back on my experience, preferences and looking forward my dream job will probably be something to do with Emergency Management, but that allows me to train, collaborate and interact with others.
As much as I would like to work with computers and think I would be very good at it, I have chosen to not learn the hardware repair/build skills and have little interest in coding. There are not too many careers out there for a non-marketer in the Computer world.
Writing professionally as a freelance writer also really interests me a lot, but I am not ready for that – yet. I will continue to blog and see where that leads me, who knows maybe something I write will go viral or this blog will just take off. I can dream can’t I. Maybe I just need to get a job where it is an strictly 8-4 job with no requirements outside of work to enable me to focus on growing my freelance writer opportunities. My present position leaves me too tired or I have work that needs to be finished because of deadlines and have to put in a lot of extra hours.
Now I have some more work to-do.
I need to research different positions in the Emergency Management or Training fields, to see what skills are necessary and where I need to improve my skills so that I am better prepared if the position presents itself. This will include discussing this with my mentors (yeah – us old guys still have mentors), talking with people in the emergency management and training professions to get their birdseye view of things.
I need to go to the FEMA Institute and see what online courses are available to prepare me for my dream job if an opportunity arises in Emergency Management.
I also need to update my training skills to ensure that I am using current methods, not things that don’t work. One of the biggest that I need to improve is the online course development, I started this development when I was teaching (learningMoodle and taking most of my teacher certification classes online), but haven’t had time to do more than use GOTO MEETING for a few webcasts during the past year.
I will have to update my resume, but I plan to prepare two styles, one that emphasizes my Emergency Management Skills and one that emphasizes my education/trainer skills. After they are updated, update my LinkedIn Profile and start putting the word out about what I would consider to be my perfect job.
But until then I plan to enjoy my present position which is a pretty darn good job, continue to improve my skills and to do the best I can everyday until that golden opportunity arises which could be 2 weeks, 2 months or 2 years.
At least now I will know what my dream job looks like and be ready to submit a quality application that accurately reflect who I am and what kind of an asset I could be to a potential employer.
This work by Harold L. Shaw, Jr. is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike 3.0 United States License.