Lancaster Rt 3 – 10K – RunLog 7-19-17

We got most things done around the house and knew that we had to go upta camp to see how things were up there. Which gave me the perfect excuse to do one of my infamous runs and then Mary drives to pick me up.

After eating a light breakfast and doing a couple of quick things around the house in Lancaster, I headed out around 8:30 and asked Mary to leave about 45:00 minutes later.

Going down the hill was easy and I just kept it slow and steady. Lancaster’s down-town is very flat which was nice. I did overtake one runner, but there was only that one. However, I know there are plenty of runners in the area, just from the number that I have seen during my trips through the town.

This is a very flat course up Route 3, but even though the temps were only in the 70’s, when you combine that with 70% humidity and bright sunshine, it really does start to take a toll on my out of shape body after 3-4 miles. This was really evident when I ran along by the Fairgrounds, after getting through there I started to slow down quite a bit.

Then my left ankle began to bother again. It was not really the usual Achilles area (that felt pretty good), it was more the posterior tibial tendon area, towards the lower part.

Which is not a new issue – all those old basketball injuries coming back to haunt me are a part of it I think.

Whatever it is, it did definitely affect my ability to run comfortably – even on this flat course and combined with the temps/sunshine I slowed down quite a bit.

After the 5.0 mile point, I knew that I wasn’t going to complete my 8.0 mile planned run and would be cutting it short by a couple of miles. I had a pretty good idea that I wasn’t doing any damage, but it was getting to the point it was getting rather uncomfortable. I negotiated with the chimp brain to let me run 6.0 and call it a day.

I am finally learning to know when to stop and when to run through something to finish a training run. It only took me a few years.

I made it to the 10K mark and then decided that was a great spot to stop and walk until Mary picked me up. I made it up to hardware store when I heard the horn beep behind me – about another ¾ of a mile. She was surprised that I had made it that far up the road and had planned on stopping to call and see where to hell I was, just before she saw me walking.

It wasn’t a great run, but it gave me more information on where I am with my conditioning and how I am doing physically. I need to work on strengthening and getting a bit more flexibility in the left leg, well actually both of them.

The one thing that I am noticing more as I age is that I do not acclimate as well to the higher temps. Extremes in temps in either direction seem to affect me a lot more negatively than they did when I was younger.

Overall a pretty good run and just under a 9:00 minute pace in 70/70 conditions is pretty good for me, so I was satisfied with it.

Leave a Reply, but I moderate all comments

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.