Windy and Treadmill Time – RunLog 3/3/18

Yesterday was a much needed rest day. I had run 13 days in a row before it and was physically and mentally ready for no working out kind of day.

Also we got pretty lucky this time, the N’oreastah went south of us and they got hammered pretty bad down there. Up heah we got some pretty good breezes 30-40 mph with a few gusts that were higher. Though it is looking like Wednesday/Thursday we are gonna get whacked with the next one coming in.

Yech. I am ready to move on to mud season, but I guess Mother Nature wants to wait a bit longer.

Bennie and I decided to go down-back for his walk even though it was a bit dicey in some areas. We got our walk in, but I decided that I didn’t really want to go running outside with the winds blowing like that. The temps were good, the roads clear, but I really dislike running in high winds and if I have a choice, I head inside.

I did tweak my left knee a little on the ice down-back, I slipped when I should have stopped going up the hill. Nothing serious, but I did notice it, until I got back on the tar, when it started to feel better. So I am not too worried about it.

So off I went to the gym.

Weekends are supposed be for a little faster running, but I wasn’t sure about what I wanted to do. I had thought about intervals, but after tweaking the knee, I wanted to play it safe. So I decided to do a 10K tempo run and see how the knee held up.

I have been running pretty comfortably at around a 8:00 minute pace, so I figured that I would start there and dependent upon how I was feeling go up or down s needed:

  • 3.0 miles at 7.6 mph, then I had to stop for a quick stop in the locker room
  • 2.0 more miles at 7.6 mph
  • The last mile was a good progression up through 8.1 mph with a nice kick the last .20

No issues with the knee and I felt strong during the entire run, the day off really did help

I wanted another treadmill run in the Skechers GoRun Ride 7’s and was very impressed with how well I ran in them – they just feel right for me. No issues or hot spots, just comfortable running and as long as I varied my stride a little, my foot felt fine. That is my issue not the shoes.

After running I did a lot of stretching and foam rolling, which seemed to help and then once I got home, I did an epsom salt bath and soaked for about half an hour. Boy did I feel lethargic after that, but my legs felt a lot more relaxed than they have in a while.

Overall, I was very happy with the run and how I felt running at a sub 8:00 pace for a 10K and the body is still feeling really good.

What more can I ask for this early in the year.

Leave a Reply, but I moderate all comments

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.