It Has Been a Long Year & Closure

Yeah, a whirlwind trip to Lancaster, NH and coming back through Errol, which put 290 more miles on Clifford (our Ford Transit). We had been planning on going to New Hampshire at some point this week and with the weather coming in and some other things that needed to get taken care of – we thought it prudent to get it done yesterday.

It was one of those last minute decisions where you have to reschedule things, not go to a race that has been on the calendar for a while and when you leave, realize the things that you wanted to bring with you, you didn’t. In other words a last minute trip, where things could have gone sideways all to easily.

Thankfully, everything worked out just fine.

After last year’s weekly trips to Lancaster, where it was 99% work and very little play, one of the things we wanted to do have some fun going over there.

One of our objectives was to do the Coldwater Falls hike on the other side of Gorham’s BFH. It is a short hike and not at all technical, but the the scenery is gorgeous and we love going to these little falls when we can.

It takes about an hour out of day and for me at least it re-energized me after eating at McDonald’s for lunch. Which I am glad that I don’t have to do very often anymore, yeah it is familiar and all that, but leaves me feeling bloated and looking for the Pepto Bismal now.

Once we got to Lancaster, we stopped and took a photo of where we spent so much time last summer: cleaning, fixing, repairing and doing what needed to be done. It brought back more than a few bittersweet memories.

The photo on the left is last October 2017 and the one on the right is August 2018. Not much has changed, so I feel pretty good about all the work that we did last year. It was good enough that the new residents didn’t feel the need to make many changes.

Also we had told the Transfer Station crew when we left last December that we would buy them a breakfast. They had helped us out so much and were just a great bunch of guys, who without their assistance, things would have been much more difficult with the 50+ truckloads of “stuffage” I brought there last year.

Unfortunately, due to things going on around our house this year, we have not been able to keep that promise until now. So we stopped at Dunkin Donuts and got a gift certificate for the supervisor to get what they would want. It was just one of those right things to do and besides keeping our word is very important to us.

We did a few other things that we needed to do and then headed up the back way to Errol, NH…well actually we were going to go by Mary’s old family camp up on Millsfield Pond and see what the new owners had done and whether the outlet bridge had gotten the plaque that had been promised.

We were a little worried about the old camp road and driving Clifford on it, since it is usually washed-out, rutted and just a tough ride for a regular on-road vehicle. However, someone has really done a LOT of work on the camp roads up there and the roads were the best we had ever seen them.

The new owners have made some pretty drastic changes and Mary was a bit sad that the old camp she had know was no longer the same. However, the new owners have to make the property their’s and the new camp better meets their needs than the one she remembers.

Still it was hard because of all the memories stored up in that old camp and I have a more than a few of my own as well. The one on the left is from July 2017 and the one on the right is from August 2018.

We were a little disappointed that there was no plaque on the bridge and will be thinking about how to make it happen.

The ride back home from Camp was quieter as we both thought about the past year, the changes that it has brought in our lives and how things are now. While the trip was a long drive to be done in a single day, it was one of those necessary things that you gotta do.

No, I didn’t get a run in yesterday, there was just too much going on and we got back after dark, so I didn’t feel like going outside and playing with the skunks and coyotes that wander around the neighborhood. 🙂 Plus, I was pretty well tuckered out any way.

I do think we both got a bit more closure with Phil’s passing last summer, which is something that we both needed in our own ways.

Sometimes life is more important than running.

Leave a Reply, but I moderate all comments

Please log in using one of these methods to post your comment: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.